Saturday 23 March 2013

Actually happening???

Living over two years in South Korea has given me time to reflex and learn about this country. Of cause I do so with my western eyes and own experiences. I’ve been blogging about what we’ve been doing and the many positive sides of our hosting country. However, also South Korea, as every nation has many development potentials. It has been my intention to write about my opinion about som issues for some time now but this week’s headlines gave me a kick start. While the situation between North and South has been more and more tensed and President Park is struggling to put her government together we also had these headlines……..


Girls upset about banning the miniskirts





 


Bare yourself at own risk
Miniskirts could be banned in South Korea as a controversial 'overexposure law' comes into effect this week.
Those deemed to be overexposed in public will face a fine of 50,000 KRW under the new law. But the law has been met with criticism after being passed by new president President Park Geun-hye at her first Cabinet meeting.
Celebrities from the Asian country have posted pictures of themselves wearing provocative clothing online, while others have suggested the law could signify a wave of authoritarian rule.
Opposition leaders also criticized the move, describing it as curtailing freedom of expression.
A comparison has been drawn between the president and her late father Park Chung-hee, who was in charge of the country between 1963 and 1979.
Under his leadership, lengthy skirts were prohibited in the 1970s, with those that ended 20 centimeters or more above the knee banned.

 K-pop image about to be banned?

Ooooo, this gives my a headache for I have nothing to wear! For real!
 



Vice justice minister offers to resign over sex scandal


Vice Justice Minister Kim Hak-ui offered to resign on Thursday, only a week after he was appointed to the post following media reports that implicated him in a sex bribery scandal.

Some local dailies reported earlier in the day that police have obtained evidence that Kim was one of the several influential figures who had received sex services from about a dozen women hired by a local construction contractor who sought business favors in 2009.
Province.

Kim denied any wrongdoing and dismissed the reports as "untrue," but said he was resigning, because with his name disgraced, he could no longer do his job properly.

"I'm quitting the post in order not to cause further trouble to the new government," Kim said in a statement. "I, as an ordinary individual, will try to unveil the truth and restore my honor."

President Park Geun-hye has yet to decide whether to accept the resignation offer.




 

But the Vice Justice Minister was anyhow "properly" dressed!


South Korea is a young democracy and a strong patriarchate (more about that later). The older generation holds onto traditions from many centuries ago. Some are definitely fun and good. However, for me a modern society should develop on all levels. South Korea has many incomprehensible written and unwritten laws.
 
To make a law banning short skirts is for me not a way to move development forward moreover backwards. It makes me wonder if that’s the way South Korea wants to go but maybe……
 
If the young women wouldn’t have worn miniskirts the Vice Minister would not have been in a sex scandal?  Just(ice)???



 
I wonder how ofter I can afford wearing this and at which risk .....

1 comment:

  1. Love the North korean fashion :)

    Maybe we could follow each other on Bloglovin and/or GFC?

    Please leave me a comment on my blog and I will follow you!

    http://kstylick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete