Wednesday 6 April 2011

Way to success? Communication, Communication and......communication

Yesterday I had my first solo "flight" and this one was to Dongdaemun Market (fabrics market). To get there with the subway was a piece of cake. My plan was to buy fabrics for two table runners and bathroom curtains. It didn't take very long when I found material for my set of runners. Then I learned from the stand owner that there was a possibility to get them made immediately in the basement of the market. Since I was interested he made a phone call and soon a lady who didn't speak a word of English came to the stand. With hand and feet plus drawings, I explained what it was it wanted. Clear? Yes clear! 165 cm long and 45 cm broad, tassels on the edges, simple. We walked down together and I saw lots of woman sewing in smallest of spaces thinkable. Now it was time to find the rest I wanted and as the efficient person I am I purchased another set of runners. Returned to "my" seamstress to have these fixed as well. Same,same...... only to find out that all four of my runners were 30 cm short. Yes, there is a difference between inches and centimeters....... I've learned anyhow that the next time I'll have a conversion table with me!
Nevertheless the bathroom curtains were correct! Why, I measured it out myself with a centimeter I had with me.
Materials more then you can imagine....




and ribbens thousands and thousends!

No comments:

Post a Comment