Tuesday 3 July 2012

(Retrived blog from Friday 13 January 2012) Six Months jubilee as editor of the Chosun Chatter!

Taking on something you’ve never done before is always challenging. This has been the case for me as well when I accepted the volunteer position as editor for the AFSC’s (American Forces’ Spouses’ Club) monthly magazine called “Chosun1) Chatter”.

Let me turn back time for a couple of months, when my neighbor Rebecca Hayes, President of the club told me that she was going through the bylaws of the organization, to check if other countries (There are 16 sending States and NNSC here) spouses could join the AFSC. Needless to say that this was possible so I could and did join. The AFSC’s main focus is to build friendships to benefit the community and the spouses do many activities to gather money to support Korean- & American Welfare and Scholarships. This we do through several channels, the most important channel being their own Chosun1) Gift Shop, but also activities such as, raffles at the monthly luncheons, Holiday Tour of Homes and a fabulous Auction we had last December and many other activities.

The organization is carried by fabulous volunteers who put in many hours to make things work are very creative.

I contribute to the organization by editing the Chosun1) Chatter and soon after I started, the company, Oriental Press, printing the magazine free of charge since 1986, needed me to write it in InDesign. So apart from writing, finding people who could help me with articles, correct reading and mailing, I got the challenge of learning the program. But everything can be done, and the online information is there to be found and usedJ.
At one of my women dinner parties I obtained a fabulous group of volunteers supporting and helping me. Honestly, without my Stringers I would not have the quality we have and definitely not the fun!
The Chosun Chatter has now received four more pages from our beneficiary and we have several steady issues we write about e.g.: News & Information; Upcoming Events; The Chosun Gift Shop; More about…..Korea; Giving Back to Our Community; Highlights.
It absolutely is a lot of work but it’s rewarding as well and I definitely learn quite much but also meet a lot of interesting people, both “ON” and “OFF” post.

King Sejong the Great

This King was the fourth king of the Joseon (Chosun) Dynasty of Korea
and he reigned from 1418 until 1450.During his regency he reinforced
Korean Confucian policies and executed major legal amendments.
He’s the creator of Hangul (The Korean language) and advanced
technology in order to expand his territory.
Below: "My" Chosun Chatters

Chosun1) comes from the Chosun Dynasty which was the last dynasty of the Korean history and the longest-ruling Confucian dynasty and lasted from 1392 until 1897

No comments:

Post a Comment